Those rumours about “complications” between David Lynch and Showtime on the forthcoming Twin Peaks revival turned out be true.
On Sunday night, Lynch, who co-created Twin Peaks in the 1990s, took to Twitter to reveal that he would no longer be serving as the director on Showtime’s 9 episode revival, after failing to secure a contract with the network. It appears that budgetary issues were the primary cause of the rift between the network and Lynch, who felt not enough money had been allocated to shoot the new episodes in just the right way.
“After 1 year and 4 months of negotiations, I left because not enough money was offered to do the script the way I felt it needed to be done” Lynch said. “This weekend I started to call actors to let them know I would not be directing. Twin Peaks may still be very much alive at Showtime. I love the world of Twin Peaks and wish things could have worked out differently.”
Showtime has said that despite Lynch’s exit, things remain “status quo” with the six episode revival. Per sources, David Lynch’s decision to step away from the revival did not come as much of a surprise to execs and has been something they have been bracing for over the past few weeks.
The network plans to move ahead with the revival and hopes that they can convince Lynch to return to the director’s seat. It is worth noting, however, that despite Lynch’s departure, co-creator is still on-board for the series – something Showtime is hopeful will allay concerns of hardcore fans given this latest development. Lynch and Frost have already written and turned in the scripts for the revival.
“We were saddened to read David Lynch’s statement today, since we believed we were working towards solutions with David and his reps on the few remaining deal points”, the network said in a statement. “Showtime also loves the world of Twin Peaks, and we continue to hold out hope that we can bring it back in all its glory with both of its extraordinary creators, David Lynch and Mark Frost, at its helm.”
The Twin Peaks revival got a green-light at Showtime last October, with the network subsequently confirming that original series lead Kyle MacLachlan would be reprising his role ass FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper. Negotiations with other original cast members are still on-going. Production is eyed to begin later this year for a 2016 premiere.